Statue of Liberty

The Torch Redesigned

By Benjamin Levine and Isabelle F. Story
National Park Service, 1961

This Web Version
GET NJ COPYRIGHT 2003

In conjunction with the lighting improvement project of 1916, the torch, which was originally copper, was redesigned by using a total of 600 separate pieces of various tinted yellow cathedral glass to enhance and beautify the lighting effects. This work was executed by Gutzon Borglum, well known for his colossal sculptures of the likenesses of Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt on the granite face of the mountain at Mount Rushmore National Memorial. The torch is now lighted by ten 1,000-watt incandescent lamps, three 200-watt incandescent lamps, and six 400-watt mercury vapor lamps. The entire lighting is equivalent to 2,500 times the effect of full moonlight.

Next

Main Menu